September 30, 2010

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo

Can you believe I am posting recipes? I know, I am in shock myself!

Today's fabulous grub... Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo!
Mmm, Mmm, Mmm!

What you will need:
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen okra, thawed
  • 2 links andouille sausage, diced
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
  • 2 cups cooked rice

First you are going to want to cut your sausage and chicken, then brown them just a tad in the skillet.
While that is cooking, chop all your veggies!!
I added all my spices here as well so I could just throw it in! 

Next add 2 cups low sodium chicken broth to the crock pot.

Then add your meat!

Now throw everything else ya got, in the pot!

Add your Bay Leaves.

And your Okra!

Finally the Low Sodium Tomato Juice.
(I have used V8 and regular. The V8 adds a nice touch of flavor)

Set that Crock Pot to cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4. 

Serve with rice and you are good to go on a cold rainy day!!
(Psst... we added jalapeƱo cornbread!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails