September 12, 2010

Mexican Casserole

Look at me! I am cooking!!

Brian and I try to eat pretty healthy. So, as a challenge to myself I am trying to find tasty recipes to try out each week that are low cal! I found this recipe on Eat Better America.  The website has some great options as well as cooking for 2 options!! I love not having to make 8 servings!! 

This is my version of the recipe. For the original recipe click Here.

1 Tablespoon Bisquick Heart Smart Mix
1 can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 1/2  cups cut up cooked chicken breast
1 small can diced green chiles
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup fat free milk (or lactose free milk)
4 tablespoons fat free egg product or 2 egg whites
1 1/3 cups Bisquick Heart Smart Mix

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. And then cook your chicken!

Then take 1 tablespoon of the Bisquick Heart Smart Mix and mix with the reserve liquid from the tomatoes.

Drain and rinse the kidney beans. 

Then add tomatoes, corn, chiles, kidney beans and chicken to the bisquick tomato mixture. 
Stir this mixture together very well and then microwave for 3 minutes.

While that is in the microwave add the 1/2 cup fat free milk, 4 tablespoons fat free egg product  & 1 1/3 cups Bisquick Heart Smart Mix to small mixing bowl and blend with a wire whisk.

Then pour tomato mixture into a casserole dish and pour Bisquick mix on top.
Cook for 25 minutes at 400 degrees or until top is golden brown.

Doesn't it just look delish?!!! It is going to become one of my new staples!! I LOVED IT!! And so did the Stud Muffin! He defeated the purpose of low cal when he went back for his 3rd serving!!

It turns out that this dish is very similar to My Mommy's Chicken Pot Pie!! Super easy to make and super good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails